When the Active Directory is saturated with unnecessary information or disorganized by old practices, we find many resources that are not being used, little knowledge of group permissions, lack of an established process for the onboarding or offboarding of accounts, undefined managers or nonexistent and with operational or monitoring problems.
Some reasons why to clean the Active Directory of your organization:
- Security. Understand who has access to what, how they received that level of access, and what they do with it.
- Transformation of groups. Maintain consistency between groups for better management and compliance.
- Audit and compliance. Ease of passing external and internal audits.
- Identity management. Safer structure.
- Migration and Consolidation. Maintaining a clean Active Directory structure facilitates migrations and integrations with other organization.